Sunday, March 27, 2005

Meandering through "The Secret Life of Bees"

Mmm... I'm not sure this kind of book is for me. I'm just not that into stories set in the American South. Sue Monk Kidd's novel reminds a little (just a little!) of Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird (motherless white girl narrator being raised by kindly black mother figure in a little Southern town where segregation is alive and well), but where Scout has a decent, stable father with a penchant for doing the right thing, Lily has an abusive, repulsive father, and no sibling to distract his attention from her. From chapter one Lily tells us that she killed her mother in a tragic accident. I suspect (I'm only about 1/3 of the way through) that we'll all discover that the father was the one who killed Lily's mother and then blamed it on his four-year-old. We'll see if my prediction is correct...

Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo
Google
Technorati search
Blogarama - The Blog Directory