Friday, April 01, 2005

All I know about papal succession...

... I learned from Dan Brown. Mmm... that realization gave me pause, as I watched tonight's coverage of Pope John Paul II's death vigil. Angels and Demons is my reference source for the process of choosing a new pope. I was too young in 1978 (1979?) to pay much attention to Vatican politics then (even if there were two papal elections in as many months).



So now I wonder -- how accurate was Brown's depiction of the arcane rules governing papal succession? I suppose we'll find out in the next few days. I'm definitely plenty old now, and will pay close attention to the process. Even feminist lapsed Catholics are interested in the strange ritualistic (masculinist, conservative...) politics of the world's smallest nation!

Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo
Google
Technorati search
Blogarama - The Blog Directory