Wednesday, April 27, 2005

It's Turn-Off TV Week...

... so why am I staring at the blasted thing? And the program is just a newsmagazine pastiche of pieces I'd already seen. And yet, I don't turn it off. Why?

I could be doing so many other more useful things, like

  • grading that stack of journals about King Arthur and company from my Brit lit students

  • reorganizing the piles of books colonizing my bedroom

  • taking yesterday's four Amazon boxes to the trash
or more pleasurable things, like diving into any of the books I am currently reading (honestly, I'm reading all of them at the same time!):
  • Pride & Prejudice ("Nothing is more deceitful," said Darcy, "than the appearance of humility. It is often carelessness of opinion, and sometimes an indirect boast." -- Mmm... Darcy... Why are all the good ones fictional?)

  • Bellow's The Adventures of Augie March -- coincidentally, this week's New Yorker has some interesting things that Bellow wrote to Philip Roth about some of his early novels, including Augie March. I'm planning to post something about this later on...

  • Quality of Care by Elizabeth Letts - a debut novel by a midwife which does remind me a little of Midwives, the Oprah Book Club Selection by Chris Bohjalian. I expect I'll breeze through it -- it's really well written and well-plotted, and I really want to find out what happens to the protagonist, an OB-GYN who is stunned when her college sweetheart and the girl who once saved her life turn up married and pregnant at her hospital...

  • The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler - Since I'm rereading P&P I finally decided to read this novel and have been pleasantly surprised so far...

  • Gilead by Marilynne Robinson -- I loved Housekeeping and am enjoying Gilead, though a little goes a long way. The novel is meant as a dying old man's letters/diary for his young son, and as such, there are no chapter divisions, just small breaks... it's interesting but exhausting reading. Plus some Civil War references (as well as biblical references, since the narrator is a reverend) are beyond me...
But now I'm strangely fascinated by NBC's Revelations... I think I need an intervention!

Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo
Google
Technorati search
Blogarama - The Blog Directory