Tuesday, April 05, 2005

The loot from yesterday's Borders visit

Due to popular demand (well, okay, two people asked, but in my little corner of the blogosphere, two is a multitude!), here's an accounting of what I got during yesterday's retail therapy at Borders:

Sword of the Rightful King by Jane Yolen (YA/Fantasy) -- reading Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur with my students has awakened a desire to explore contemporary versions of the Arthur story

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (YA/Fiction) -- about an alternate version of Earth where sixteen-year-olds get plastic surgery and become pretty. I couldn't resist the premise, though the first few paragraphs did not hook me.

Secrets Vol. 11 (erotica) -- four novellas of erotic romance by Angela Knight, Kimberly Dean, Jess Michaels, and Jennifer Probst. I have nine of the other volumes and have enjoyed most of them.

Jane Austen: A Life by Claire Tomalin -- I've always liked Austen, and I'm teaching Pride and Prejudice this semester.

The Book of Joe by Jonathan Tropper (Fiction) -- I don't know about you, but I couldn't resist a book that starts with the following sentence: "Just a few scant months after my mother's suicide, I walked into the garage, looking for my baseball glove, and discovered Cindy Posner on her knees, animatedly performing fellatio on my older brother, Brad."

Winner of the National Book Award by Jincy Willett (Fiction) -- Another one that didn't blow me over with the opening, but which had a promising description on the back: "Set in Rhode Island, Winner of the National Book Award tells the story of twins who could not be more different. Abigail Mather is a woman of passionate sensual and sexual appetites, while her sister, the book loving local librarian Dorcas, lives a quiet life of the mind. But when the sisters are sought out by the predatory and famous poet, Guy DeVilbiss, who introduces them to Hollywood hack writer and possible psychopath Conrad Lowe, they rapidly become pawns in a game that leads to betrayal, shame and ultimately, murder." Sex, librarians, books, and hack writers... Who can resist?

I also bought a bunch of magazines and read through a couple of erotic romance anthologies published by Ellora's Cave. In the new paperbacks section I found a reprint of Dark Prince, the first novel in the series of paranormal romances that launched the career of Christine Feehan. I discovered Feehan early on, so I already have that book (and the rest of her books), but I read through an enjoyable addition to her Carpathian series that was printed with it ("Dark Descent"). For me, Feehan's books are the best in escapist fantasy romance: the couples are bonded for life, there is no adultery possible, and the sex is of course incredible. (What can I say -- in real life I'm an avowed feminist, but I do like romance books with alpha males...)

Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo
Google
Technorati search
Blogarama - The Blog Directory