Sunday, August 21, 2005

Today is...

the third anniversary of my father's death. We took my mom shopping, to the movies, and to dinner -- to distract us all. I miss him so much still, though I'm thankful for the time we had together.

My own coping mechanism: while my aunt and mother were watching a movie, I was browsing at Borders. Found some good magazines and books to use with my students.

Still reading The Hamilton Case -- I find it interesting how Maud, the mother of the erstwhile main character, uses writing to cope with her solitude and the creeping infirmities of old age. She writes compulsively -- cheery, fictional letters to her old acquaintances, lists cataloging the flora and fauna of her childhood home (where her bitter son has exiled her), and journal entries that chronicle her mental, emotional, and physical decline.

Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo
Google
Technorati search
Blogarama - The Blog Directory